Saturday, November 1, 2008

Here we go - getting off the ground!

Ok, I think I have this stuff figured out!

Issue 1 - There really doesn't seem to be a good way to do email groups that hide addresses, apparently. Even with a listserv, every time someone sends a message, their email shows up. Same with Google groups and yahoo groups. I think the easiest way to do it is to go ahead and set up a bulk list, but do it with approved email addresses. Please send me another email that has "use this email address" in the subject line from your preferred email address for this group. No other text necessary. If your normal email you've been using isn't the one you want, set up/email from a different one. Even if you're happy with this one, please send me an email to confirm so I know you've seen it and are ok. That's the one we'll use to discuss who gets the blankets; everything else will be handled through the blog.

Issue 2 - Blankets ahoy! I'll talk in email about recipients and give you the address to send to, so look for that tonight. For now I'll send individal emails until I get responses to get the bulk list set up. In any case, go ahead and start creating. I think we have enough people in each group with extras, so start on whatever you like. I'll collect squares and sort - I think we will probably have enough for one fabric blanket and one yarn, so we can do two at a time.

Issue 3 - Yarn blanket - I'll volunteer for the teaspoon square for this yarn-based blanket. I bought some glittery silver yarn on sale and I think I can make an applique for my square; I have some directions on doing yarn-to-yarn applique. Any type of yarn is ok. I've noticed it's kind of hard for me to gauge what's going to turn out as 7 inches; I've restarted mine four times now! As long as they're within an inch or so, I think I can stretch/bunch while connecting them to make them come out even. I got a few skeins of black sparkly yarn that I think would look nice for joining, both by blending in and contrasting with whatever colors show up.

Issue 4 - Fabric blanket - Does anyone want to volunteer for the teaspoon square? Put a note in comments, first up gets dibs. I did get a question on the quilting, which I had also been thinking about. It would look better overall if I got unfinished squares and sashed/quilted them myself, but to be honest quilting is the part I'm the worst at, and binding puts me in fits of agony. My talents are entirely limited to hand-piecing. I think to be sure that I can actually put them together and get the thing out in a decent time frame, I'll have to get finished squares that are quilted and edged. Then I can easily blind-stitch them together with upholstery thread, which ought to hold (I'm open to other suggestions!). That brings up thickness, which ought to be the same for all. I'd say low-loft, because with that small of a square some people may be hand quilting. Also, low-loft would mean that anyone doing something different with fabric other than quilting wouldn't be significantly thinner. Do we need to be more specific than that on batting size?

I think that's it for now. :)

6 comments:

Solitary Crafter said...

I'll give the teaspoon square a whirl.

Solitary Crafter said...

um, I pretty good at putting together and quilting, if you want me to take care of it. I won't mind. It's actually something I enjoy, go figure

rrp said...

OK, I need a deadline otherwise, who knows when I'll start.

I'm for one of the knitted squares.

The Bald Soprano said...

One idea...since these are blankets for cuddling rather than warmth, we could go for quilting front and back without a batting between, even.

car said...

Quick note of information: If you write a huge comment, then realized you're signed into the wrong Google account, and then click the button to comment using a different account, it will WIPE OUT your whole comment. Grr. But anyway.

It would be perfect to get the first done by Thanskgiving, but my fluffing around has made that nigh impossible. Let's say by the end of the month, and if it happens by Thansgiving week so much the better?

I wondered about quilting without batting, but didn't know if that would be too floppy. I'll leave that for the more experienced quilting consensus in comments.

solitary crafter - that's a fabulous offer, but puts a lot more work on you than anyone else. General thoughts?

Amy said...

I am not crafty, I am doing my best though.

What does 'low-loft' mean? And is it used internationally as a measurement? I am in the UK; any advice gratefully received. If Solitary Crafter is willing and able to quilt everything that would certainly make it easier for me. Even if it was just this first time while I try to figure it all out.

Also, I'm going to see my family in the US next week for Thanksgiving and I won't be home until December 3rd. So I don't think I'll be able to participate with the first blanket if we need it within the month. Unless I can get my sister or my Mom to help me. Best not to count on me though.